New Student Registration
Requirements for registration for all new students into the Bridgeport School System (including Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten). Proof of residency will be required of all new registrants and transfers to any Bridgeport Public School. Residency means living full time in a home in Bridgeport by at least one parent or legal guardian and the student:
At least two (2) of the following are required for registrants that have established residency in Bridgeport:
- current utility bills from two (2) different companies; or a letter from the utility company confirming hook-up or future hook-up of the registrant at that address; (telephone bills not acceptable)
- canceled checks to prove payment of rent for two (2) months
- copy of parent/guardian driver’s license or Connecticut State I.D.
- a notarized letter from homeowner*
- a current mortgage bank statement or homeowner’s tax bill*
One of the following is required for registrants that have not established residency in Bridgeport:
- A contract for the rental of a residence in Bridgeport has been signed and occupancy will take place within approximately two (2) months from the time the student is enrolled. A notarized statement from the landlord will be required in such situations. After two (2) months verification of address will be required. The Bridgeport Housing Authority Project Manager will supply in writing proof if any of the registering persons reside in any housing managed by the Bridgeport Housing Authority.
- A contract to purchase a home in Bridgeport has been signed and the closing is scheduled within approximately two (2) months from the time the student is enrolled. A notarized statement from the real estate firm or attorney will be required in such situations. After two (2) months verification of address will be required.
School assignment will be determined by the Bridgeport Public Schools Directory and Street Guide. As in the past, all of the following are necessary to register a student new to the Bridgeport Public School System:
- In the event a guardian or designee registers a child/children, legal court documentation of guardianship is required.
- A birth certificate and/or passport must be presented.
- Current medical records must be presented.
- Up-dated physical exam (within the last calendar year). This must be brought in before the child enters school on August 27th. No child will be allowed to start school without the completed physical.
*This is required in the event that the child/children and parent/guardian reside with a non related adult or a family member.
For in-system transfer students, the same requirements for residency are required, along with an in-system transfer from the sending school.