Cross was named for Governor Wilbur Lucius Cross, (1931-1939) the 86th Governor of Connecticut, Wilbur Lucius Cross (1862-1948) was an American educator and public official. He was born in Mansfield, Conn. He graduated from Yale University with a B.A. in 1885 and a PhD in 1889.
He was an instructor of English from 1894 to 1897. He was an assistant professor of English from 1897 to 1902 and a professor of English from 1902 to 1930 at Yale. He later became dean from 1916 to 1930 of the graduate school. Cross became well known as a literary critic. He edited the Yale Review for almost 30 years, and was the author of The Life and Times of Laurence Sterne (1909), The History of Henry Fielding (1918), and many other books. After he retired in 1930 from Yale he turned to politics. As Democratic governor of Connecticut (1931-39), he brought about much reform legislation. He abolishes the use of child labor. He was instrumental in governmental reorganization. He worked hard to improve factory laws.
The cornerstone of Wilbur Cross was laid May, 1959. The total cost was $1,588,133. At that time Wilbur Cross was built with the highest quality materials. The builder installed terrazzo floors and a glazed surface concrete block wainscoting 6 feet, four inches high. In the corridors, ceramic tile was installed from floor to ceiling.