Delta Kappa Gamma Society International
Alpha Kappa State offers annual cash grants to high school seniors and college students enrolled in teacher education programs. Many chapters also offer annual grants to college education majors.
High School Grants
Each year Alpha Kappa State offers four cash grants to high school seniors from Connecticut who are entering teacher education programs in the fall.
- The Elizabeth Sonier Grant awards $750.00 to a senior planning to pursue a degree in Music Education.
- The Hannah Griswold Grant awards $750.00 to a minority senior planning to major in Education.
- The Lee Formica Grant awards $500.00 to a student entering a teacher education program.
- The Margaret Rose Nielsen Grant awards $500.00 for a student planning to major in Math, Science, or Technology Education.
Requirements for High School Grant Applicants:
- must be a graduating senior in a Connecticut high school;
- must be entering a teacher education program appropriate for teacher certification in Connecticut;
- must be a resident of Connecticut;
- must demonstrate qualities consistent with the promise of leadership in education,including scholarship and community service; and
- must submit 3 references, an essay under 500 words indicating reasons for becoming a teacher, a transcript of work through January of senior year, and a completed application.
Applications must be postmarked by March 15, 2016 and mailed to:
151 Atwoodville Road
Mansfield Center, CT 06250
A State College Recruitment Grant of $500 is available to juniors at each of Connecticut's state universities, e.g. Eastern, Western, Central, Southern, and UCONN. An additional $500 Recruitment Grant is available at Southern to a junior studying elementary education.
Students will submit their State College Recruitment Grant applications to their Education Departments by the date required by the university. The names of the applicants selected by the universities will be forwarded to the Professional Affairs Chairperson by April 10, to be presented for approval at the Spring Convention. The Alpha Kappa State treasurer issues payments to the universities in late August.