The school at 240 Ocean Terrace is named after long-time community activist, Geraldine Claytor. Claytor’s hard work is captured in a statement1 by her daughter Bennyta Thompson saying, “My mother was not looking for any notoriety; she served the P.T. Barnum community with love, a pure heart, and a passion to help others.” Although she did not seek personal recognition, the P.T. community honors the legacy of her service by naming the new school Geraldine Claytor Magnet Academy.
1. The Connecticut Post. November 16, 2015 Link
Geraldine Claytor Magnet Academy in the news:
- Claytor picking up STEAM By Linda Conner Lambeck
- City Middle School students to debate By Linda Conner Lambeck
- Claytor Magnet Academy opens in Bridgeport By Linda Conner Lambeck
- New School Could Be 'Safe Haven' For One Bridgeport Neighborhood By Meredith Guinness
- Community shaped the new Geraldine Claytor magnet school By Linda Conner Lambeck
The mission of the Geraldine Claytor Magnet Academy is to provide students with a rigorous, interdisciplinary learning environment focused on science, technology, engineering, art and mathematics (STEAM), while fostering the joy of discovery, promoting a collaborative culture of ethical and innovative problem-solving and higher-level critical thinking. At Claytor Academy, academic concepts are blended together with real-life lessons in contexts that make connections between the school, community and the real world. The end results are students who:
- Take thoughtful risks
- Engage in experiential learning
- Persist in problem-solving and embrace collaboration
- Work through the creative process
As part of the program of study at Geraldine Claytor Magnet Academy, students will be engaged in project based learning activities. Project Based Learning is a teaching method in which students gain knowledge and skills by working for an extended period of time to investigate and respond to an authentic, engaging and complex question, problem, or challenge.
The online application for the Elementary Magnet Schools will be open January 10, 2018 through midnight March 2, 2018.