My name is Mrs. Brown and I teach art classes for grades k-8 at MCM.
The Bridgeport Public Schools Arts Department is committed to providing students with a strong education in the visual arts. The visual arts are an important foundation for the development of a well-educated student and basic to every child's cognitive and cultural development through plans that develop artistic skills and cultural knowledge. By its very nature the study of visual art fosters the development of higher order thinking skills.
CONNECTICUT STATE DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION VISUAL ARTS PERFORMANCE STANDARDS
1. Students will understand, select and apply media, techniques and processes.
2. Students will understand and apply the elements and organizational principals of art.
3. Students will consider, select and apply a range of subject matter, symbols and ideas.
4. Students will understand the visual arts in relation to history and culture.
5. Students will reflect upon, describe, analyze, interpret and evaluate their own and others' work.
6. Students will make connections between visual arts, other disciplines and daily life.